Sunday, March 28, 2010

More thought than fishing this week

After determining that my time on the water this week wasn't going to add up to anything more than longing gazes and poetic captain Morgan poses I decided to clean all my gear. Apply new hooks to plugs I haven't used in several years. Peruse the Internet for lure making supplies at http://www.makelure.com/. And dream of perfect scenarios, both winter and summer to deal with in my neck of the woods. Most of these hypothetical attack angles and tactics on areas and situations faced already. Mostly about how I can flyfish areas I normally wadefish. Like where I would set up the boat to allow maximum casting distance in areas that are waist deep and require longer casts normally to avoid spooking fish.

I tied some beach flies for whiting and pompano. I cleaned my flyline. I'm still strung up with SciAng quad tip. I love the ability to change tips but I HATE the loop to loop connection between the running line and the head's. I mostly use the floating and the intermediate. But I have noticed that my floating line I took off to use the quad tip casted better. I have been looking into clear tip intermediate lines for this summers beach and pass fishing and there are several choices I have yet to decide on.

like this one


or this???

I will keep the line I choose for exclusive sand and grass bottoms. Where I fish in the winter around current the bottom is mostly gnarly oyster shell and the ability to replace a couple heads rather than a whole line helps the cost. Although I was lucky this winter and didn't get wrapped in the shell I would rather not have to sacrifice an entire line if I fall victim to a bully redfish. I might be able to convert a ruined line buy cutting and making a loop close to the running line and just adding a clear intermediate shooting head but I hate the loop to loop connection on shooting heads and I want to avoid another if I can. the main problem with all this is money. Shit line is expensive. if I'm going to be raking mine across oyster shell I'm going to have to find an affordable solution!

Rise form's podcast showed some methods to help with backing to line issues. But I'm unsure if this helps my situation. It is a pretty neat method though. Here's the video.


Also I tend to stray during my ramblings so I decided to research shooting head's and dammit if I don't know a thing about a lot of things. This forum topic was very helpful.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=654275

I just don't know anyone who fly fishes here regularly. The ones I have seen are mostly interested in sight casting or surf casting with huge cigars between their sweaty, slobbering lips. You can't sight cast to many shallow fish if the waters cold and the bait is offshore on an overcast day. Most people here would rather just drift with tails than actually put a little effort into their "hobby's".
I am determined to do things efficiently and CHEAP. I also want this to be more than a fair weather or eccentric show for the goons of the bay. If I can use suffix and buy clear heads I can cut costs a lot. I also want to research head materials more. Seems there's a solution to my normal idiot consumer mentality yet. Bring the pain!

No comments: